Municipal Court

We hope this website will provide you with some insight into the Municipal Court procedures. The information that we are providing on this site is intended to aid you, the customer in making informed decisions. Please contact this court if additional information is needed.

Kenilworth Municipal Court handles the following matters: disorderly and petty disorderly persons offenses; violations of municipal and county ordinances; violations of motor vehicle and traffic laws; weights and measures.

An offense is a disorderly persons or petty disorderly persons offense and is heard in municipal court. Crimes are indictable charges and are designated as being of the first, second, third or fourth degree. They are heard in Union County Superior Court.

Payments can be made during our hours of operation or by mail to Kenilworth Municipal Court. We accept Visa or MasterCard, cash, check or money order. After hours payments can be made using the Court Payment Lock Box located in the Kenilworth Police Department entrance at:
Kenilworth Municipal Building
567 Boulevard
Kenilworth, NJ 07033

Make checks or money orders payable to Kenilworth Municipal Court. Traffic summonses that are not court appearance required can also be paid through the Internet on the New Jersey Courts website. Online payment hours of operation are:

  • Monday through Thursday: 7:30 am to 11:45 pm (EST)
  • Friday: 7:30 am to 10:45 pm (EST)
  • Saturday: 7:30 am to 3:45 pm (EST)
  • Sunday 1 pm to 11:45 pm (EST)

If you wish to plead not guilty, you must notify the court at the address or telephone number listed on this website at least 7 days prior to the court date listed on the front of the ticket. If you fail to notify the court, it may be required for you to make additional court appearances. For all criminal complaints, tickets marked court appearance required or tickets not listed on the Statewide or Local Violations Bureau Schedule, you must appear in court on the date and time listed on the complaint or ticket. Please notify the court of any change or correction of address so that you may receive court notices.

The Judiciary will make reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities. Please notify the court of the disability accommodation that is needed.